Warm Springs Pools
Warm Springs, Virginia
The Warm Springs Pools, a mid-1820’s Men’s Pool and an early 1870’s Women’s Pool, and related structures including the Drinking Pool Gazebo and the 1880’s Guest / Registration House, are owned and operated by Omni Hotels & Resorts and are an important part of the local history.
The bath houses are listed on both the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. After years of exposure to the elements and to the humidity of the baths themselves, these wood-framed structures were in varying states of deterioration to the point that the structures were closed to public access.
MFSE engineers developed structural designs for a hybrid approach to bringing the structures back to life, including both rehabilitation and restoration approaches. The Women’s Pool is being restored to its form in the early 20th century, with a shallow domed profile and central oculus. The new roof configuration incorporates a braced dome framework that allows for the oculus to be free of any supporting structure. The internal walls between the perimeter changing rooms are sensitively stiffened to provide dome support and overall lateral load resistance.
National Register of Historic Places
Virginia Landmarks Register
OWNER
Omni Hotels & Resorts
KEY ISSUES
Historic timber
New timber frame construction
Severe environment
Dome Construction
AWARDS
2023 AIA Virginia Historic Preservation Merit Award